Sunday, June 9, 2019

My First Life Chapter 2

                                                              2

No, Doc. That would be an understatement
to say it just didn’t work out.

Actually it never really did work right from the start
it’s a stupid story
we thought she was pregnant
I didn’t know what to do so we got engaged
I didn’t want to embarrass her
I was twenty years old and she was seventeen
she wasn’t even pregnant
stupid stupid stupid
what a joke

Almost right after we were married 
we started with marriage counselors
you’ll excuse me if by now I seem 
a little unenthusiastic
about your profession and what you do here
it’s just you have to try something anything
something to get help even when you know 
it won’t work
Sharon’s mother was going to a psychologist
so naturally we went
from the beginning until the end
her mom believing in psychotherapy and all
off and on
her me them us alone together in groups
on weekends every which way
talk talk talk
all bullshit so far anyway

But highly recommended
I remember hearing that from the beginning
you too for that matter
highly recommended

On our honeymoon she couldn’t stand anything I arranged
the plane was too noisy the hotel didn’t have ice-skating
who goes to Florida to go ice skating
the side-trips were all dumb
I liked them
Seaquarium porpoises entertaining I thought
with their high jumping and ringing bells
I arranged boat ride tours and dinners
and sketch artists you name it

For Sharon it was too damp too hot too early too late
it made me sick all her complaining
she was never satisfied
always judging nothing ever okay

Did I ever love her?

Did I ever love her
I don’t know I must’ve once
but I married the first girl who let me fuck her
like a jerk like a kid like a hard up little putz
just like I knew I would

Actually her mother was better looking than she was
had sperm swimming in her eyes
Henry Miller said that
my mother-in-law was a tall brunette with highlights of gray
her face was angular with high cheek bones and piercing brown eyes
that when she wanted to could make you uneasy and turn away
you know what I mean
otherwise you felt a conspiracy building if you held her gaze
she had a firm body slender and well proportioned
with a man’s imagination I detected beautiful breasts
you know how there are some women who even as they age
never lose the shape and firmness of young breasts
she was like that

Her hands were long-fingered and sensitive
unlike Italians who moved their whole arms
when they spoke
it was her fingers her fingers played with each other
rubbed and rolled against each other as she spoke
completing a kind of unconscious
three note chord
her breasts
her fingers
her mouth

She used to kiss me on the mouth
you know when we greeted or said goodbye
I liked that what’s not to like
once her colleague noticed and commented on it
and she made a joke
but I always wondered how come too
just something sexy about her
she was married three times
sad cursed life with a kind of desperate pathos

Sharon was very different from her mother
I could imagine a reverse Lolita story
marrying the daughter
to be near the mother
Sharon was shorter than her mother
with a round face and short-cropped blond hair
she had hazel eyes but her gaze
was never arresting the way her mother’s was
but as with so many ordinary women
when she smiled her face lit up
and became beautiful
for a time

She wasn’t exactly slender but she was okay
her body was adequate
all the essential parts accounted for but no more
what she lacked in physical magnetism
she failed to compensate for with personality
as some women can
I have known the homeliest women
who over time
because of who they are
become more and more attractive
this was not Sharon
she did have nice legs though

Sharon’s mother screwed up all her girls
her oldest Susan is completely nuts
her kids—I mean Susan’s kids—returning from school
caught her once coming out the of bedroom stark naked
with their Sunday school teacher
also buck naked

Susan’s husband Daniel is even nuttier than she is
they loved science fiction conventions
they called them conventions but it was just a cover to get laid
they were really orgies drugs cheating you name it
we went to one in Michigan with them
even there I couldn’t get laid Sharon wasn’t in the mood
and I didn’t have the nerve to strike out on my own
something I still regret a missed opportunity
I did get to see the aurora borealis though for the only time
amazing unexpected mind bending sight
it makes you wonder what else you haven’t seen

Those two Susan and her husband were both so full of bullshit
we’re free we respect each other we’re not each other’s jailers
anything’s okay if we love each other
blah blah blah
god I was so jealous of all the ass they got between them
of course they eventually got divorced

The middle daughter Samantha was spoiled rotten
she was the beauty of the group
could do no wrong
what a mercenary bitch but the world is for the beautiful right
and there’s no doubt she was and knew it and knew its worth
and would work it
until she couldn’t work it any more and her mother knew it
and didn’t care because she liked having a beautiful girl-child
who could fuck men over

You’ve got to have a profession her mother would tell Sharon
you can’t trust men they always cheat eventually
I love you Michael she'd say but you know it’s true or might be
and then you’re nowhere if you can’t support yourself
trapped dead powerless
what a message of hope to give your newly married daughter

This was our first dinner mind you as a married couple
and she’s giving her daughter a lesson
on how to survive a rotten marriage while she’s eating my food
while I’m thinking what would it be like to fuck her
I mean she just had that effect on you

Of course I felt judged unfairly and violated too. Ironic, yes?

It was a great dinner and that was a great little apartment
basement job the kind you think are dark and horrible and damp
and embarrassing to say you live in
not this one
it was lovely beautiful it was ours it had three rooms
with those funny high up basement windows
every room painted white so it was very bright
and the back door  in the kitchen was mostly glass 
so lots of light came in from the backyard
with grass and a couple of big trees and the owner’s kids playing in the backyard
squealing and running around and wanting to play with me

And she’s eating my food in my castle with my wife
and telling her to get a job
so she can leave me comfortably when the inevitable time comes
I mean Sharon wanted to work anyway
but her mother’s coaching certainly gave a bad feel to it
like there was an ulterior motive

Actually I wasn’t too happy with that meal
Sharon jumping up and down being the perfect little housewife
and me sitting there
as if I ever told Sharon not to go to school
or get a profession or whatever the hell she wanted to do
what am I supposed to do
guarantee I’m never going to cheat on her daughter
where’s my guarantee

No, I didn’t think Sharon had to prove anything to me.
Doc, she didn’t owe me anything.

You know I remember this line from a movie
the fucking you get aint worth the fucking you get
I love that line I don’t remember the movie any more
but it was a true line
I loved the play on words and the play on life
maybe it was too bitter but I felt pretty bitter near the end of our marriage
I mean how long do you put up with always being told 
you’re a dollar short
maybe I think she did owe me something
loyalty or just friendship or help or something
I don’t know what but yes she did owe me something
good sex at least or even some interest in me
something

Making love to her?

First off I didn’t know what I was doing
I mean she was a lot more experienced than I was
she was only sixteen when I met her 
and her cherry had already been plucked
she told me it was from horseback riding
yeah right
but I figured it was from her boyfriend fingering her
she got caught one time in the closet with his hands down her pants
she told me this I guess to show me how honest she was with me

She’s probably telling the truth too
she probably never did really have sex before me
but she did everything else I’m convinced
so she should have been some help
but she wasn’t

I just fumbled along trying a little of this and a little of that
and when it was all done she just starts crying
and I ask her if there’s anything I can do
no
was it any good for you
she says no
is there anything I can do better next time
no
well we’ve got to do something tell me how I can be better
no you’re the man you’re supposed to know what to do
how the hell am I supposed to know what to do
some things you just have to learn by experience
and the truth was I had none

I tell her your mother’s not here you can talk dirty
give me some hints I can’t read your mind
nothing
then she actually says to me if you don’t know how to make me happy
I can’t tell you
if you really loved me you’d know how

Don’t smile. You think it sounds funny. It isn’t funny.

You know men can be insecure about sex too
I didn’t need this mind reading bullshit and the crying
I wanted to think I was okay and if I wasn’t
we would kind of get better at it together
I didn’t need it to be a fucking
test of whether I loved her

You know maybe
I had an unrealistic idea of what marriage would be like
but so did she
and talk about dead meat
what’s that old joke about Jewish women
what’s the difference between Jell-O and a Jewish women
Jell-O moves when you eat it

Yes, I’m still angry. I let myself be angry now.

I’m really angry at myself mostly
that’s what you guys say all the time anyway isn’t it
twelve years I can’t believe I was such a putz
twelve years
how long should it take to wise up

You know we were gonna get divorced a couple of years into it
but her dad talked us out of it 
I liked him
big ballsy guy very affectionate very generous
had a heart attack a real bad one
he was getting over it when I first met Sharon
so he had a happy outlook on life
I guess he was glad he was still alive and planned
not to let women or kids or anything make him crazy

He was easygoing but firm
men loved him you know in an okay way
he was a fisherman he liked to travel he liked to tell stories
he was very sure of himself
he was a funny guy
but very chauvinistic
I mean women were definitely there to serve men
but women loved him anyway he was such a charmer
and even though he was pretty overweight he was a damn good dancer
and a great cook and very generous
did I say that already
and I had the impression he was good in bed
women will put up with a lot of shit
if the sex is good

Anyway we were gonna get divorced and we couldn’t talk to my parents
they would have died if they knew we were thinking of getting a divorce
my Uncle Norman got divorced once and the family was shocked
I was about ten years old at the time
I was shocked

about a year later Uncle Norman and Aunt Shirley got remarried
I guess they shocked themselves

I wouldn’t talk to Sharon’s mother about our problems
Or maybe it was only mine I don’t know
I didn’t want to give her the satisfaction
you know
I-told-you-so

So anyway we call Sharon’s dad and he insists
we come over to his place right away
and we both spill our guts
and hearing ourselves it all sounded so stupid and petty
and he kept hugging us and telling us everybody has these problems
and it all goes away if you can be friends with each other
and the family all loves us so much and wants us to be happy and so on and so forth
and he was so sweet and he cared so much that like jerks
we decided to give it another go
we did our duty by everyone
it could’ve been nice and clean then
too bad

What do I mean clean? Doc, really?

I mean kids
what else
anyone who has kids to keep a marriage together is fucking crazy
so naturally that’s what we did
but you know in a weird kind of way it did keep us together
I love my kids and surprisingly even to me
we never really fought over them

We agreed mostly on how to raise them
I was in the delivery room with both my kids
and Sharon nursed both of them
we were alternative-life-style kind of parents
Sharon nursed our son, Allen, till he was two
and our daughter Meredith, until she was three
we didn’t use canned baby foods ever
we mashed up real food for them
and we never had screaming babies that make some parents crazy
I mean it’s hard to scream with a tit in your mouth right

Considering everything we were very responsible parents
kids can keep you together but they don’t solve your problems
we fought about everything else
except for the kids
and staying married you can feel just as alone

Doc, how is it possible for marriages to turn to shit so thoroughly
I mean how is it possible to have kids with a woman
who you can’t remember ever saying one nice thing to you
making kids it's such an intimate thing to do
I mean you have to take your clothes off and get close and kiss and hold each other
and do your thing and I can’t remember her ever being really affectionate towards me
it must have been there
can you block it out so completely
honest to god I don’t remember her ever being my friend
and we made everybody happy
and everybody loved the kids

But now it’s not neat and it’s not clean
marriages come and go but the kids are there forever
and in the hands of some women
they’re a weapon pointed right at their ex-husband’s heart

And please spare me the social commentary on abuse and oppression
and how the courts used to be so unfair to women
it may have been true once but not any more
no matter what
the man loses
it’s all bleeding heart bullshit
women use the kids period end of sentence
and if they’re the dumpee forget it
they’ll never be rational towards you again

No, sex wasn’t the issue, Doc,
and, well, maybe it was.

What do I mean
I mean I don’t know where do I start
I got better at sex
I read books I went to x-rated movies
I did research you might say
one time I found this really good marriage manual
I read it and gave it to Sharon
I said it was a helpful book that
I had learned a lot from it would she like to read it
you know what she says
I can’t identify with this book
what’s to identify I say
you take the girl’s part I take the boy’s
anyway she never read the book

So I would practice on her what I found out and I was amazed
you know it’s all biological I mean if you punch the right buttons
the old piano roll plays the right tune
so after a while Sharon having orgasms was not our problem
so you see sex was not an issue anymore except
they were unmoving silent orgasms weird emotionless crazy
so sex was still an issue
I mean it was like she didn’t want to give me any credit for her orgasms
she kept them all inside
to herself for herself
it was frustrating and it made me angry
so I guess sex never stopped being an issue

I wanted a good lay so badly it’s all I ever thought about
so that’s when I started thinking about cheating on her
even if it would give her mother
an I-told-you-so
goddamnedest thing though
Sharon beat me to it in fact I know of at least two guys she did
one was at the company where I was working for chrissake
and the other was her chiropractor
I saw him once
he looked like her father
so I thought that explained a lot

After the chiropractor I figured I was taking things too lightly
it was not a good sign
I probably was repressing and all
so we found this psychologist he was Swiss
and had a great accent and wore pullovers
and slippers and no kidding he smoked a pipe
actually he only held the pipe because tobacco smoke makes me sick
and I asked him if he could refrain while we were with him
I thought he was going to need a shrink after that
but he manned up and said okay

No comments:

Post a Comment